Sunday, January 15, 2017

TIME FLYS

Time certainly does fly away and before we know it, another year has begun. We are into the middle of January right now. Christmas passed so quickly and soon after the decorations were put away, all except the coffee table spray of greens, pine cones, fancy ribbons and a few shinny balls. It's a beautiful table decoration, made by our daughter-in-law, Betty, Chuck's wife. Betty made several wreaths for our front and side doors. She made table decorations for my mother, Edith, and our daughter, Marie. Now, Betty isn't able to do anything like that any more. She has had alzheimer's disease for about four years. I pray for her and my son every night. Her fate is in God's capable hands.

We had a wonderful Christmas, spent with our two children and their spouses. The amount of gifts were overwhelming this year. I spent three months shopping from warehouse catalogs this year, something I will not do again. I bought so many things that I found it hard to keep track of who I got them for. Two weeks before Christmas I began wrapping them. It took me three days! Nope! Not again.
I really think at almost 77 years old (me) and 82 (my husband), that there really isn't much I need in the way of clothing, shoes, jewelry...wait—I, uh, love looking at jewelry in the lighted cases. The stones shine so pretty and it certainly catches my eye. I stand there and admire those shinny baubles. But, lets face it—I have so much pretty costume jewelry that I will never need another piece of glitter in my life time. Well, maybe a pretty pair of earrings, necklace or attractive ring on a special occasion now and then.

Getting back to Christmas; the best part of the holiday is going to church services and doing the candles in the darkened room at the end of the service. The Hallelujah chore singing their hearts out in harmony, and the joy of it all. My heart almost burst out of my chest with joy and love for Jesus and His Father, Jehovah God.

Having a great dinner together with all my family there, including my younger sister, Leasa, was also a highlight of the day. The only dark spot on the day was the absence of my middle son, Alen. This February 17th he will have been gone from us for three years. He died of a massive heart attack. Such a loss of life. There was an empty place at the table that will never be filled again. Enough sadness. Christmas turned out to be a wonderful day with my family, one that I look forward to every year.

For my writers group I wrote a Christmas poem and posted it on our Mountain Christian Church blog spot. It was called "Happy Birthday, Jesus." I have been writing poems for Thanksgiving and Christmas for several years now. They are always well received, although I do not know what the public thinks of them when they read them on our Portions of Grace blog. I know our writers group loves them.

Well, this is the end to a wonderful Sunday. Church services this morning, a long visit with our daughter after church and then two hours at my writers meeting. I got another devotion critiqued and approved for posting on the 27th of January, a day before my 77th birthday. So, now it is time to close this writing for now. Ten o'clock is my cut-off time for writing. I am tired anyway.

God bless all who are reading this blog. I hope you enjoyed it. Until another time, good night and blessings to you all.
Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment