Friday, November 25, 2016

THANKSGIVING

My husband, Charles and I went to Marie and Tom's house for our Thanksgiving dinner. Tom put the big 14 pound bird in his "air cooker" and in no time at all it came out brown and beautiful. It was so delicious! Marie had made some special potatoes from a recipe she got off the computer. She gets a lot of good recipes that way and tries them all. She's a great cook, I'm proud to say. As she grew up, I taught her all I knew about cooking and after she married Tom, she went on from there. She cooks healthy, stick-to-the-ribs food. Tom's physic is proof positive. Besides the turkey and potatoes, she made another computer recipe, sweet potato casserole which was out of this world good. Marie also made sauerkraut and kielbassa (spelled wrong, I know), string bean casserole (yummy), and gravy and oven rolls. Believe me, we ate hearty, some going back for seconds. I also brought over a new recipe that Marie had sent me called Cranberry Fluff. It was different, but delicious.

After dinner, we all sat around and talked for a while. My nephew, Andrew, came to dinner for the first time since his spouse passed away. He enjoyed the home-cooked meal since he admits he is no cook. I imagine he eats many prepared meals from the store. He looked healthy though. Marie and Andrew and I talked of many things, all positive. Charles and Tom preferred to watch the football game in the basement but they did come back up after the game was over and all five of us talked together in the living room.

Marie's "babies" made a few trips up and down the stairs to see who was doing all the talking. It was a delight to see Charlie and Rosalee, Marie's cats. Charlie is a long haired white with silver markings furry "baby" while Rosalee is white and black short-haired, marked very beautifully. She is more timid than Charlie. He is a lover of being held and petted by Marie. She has been a cat lover for most of her life since about five years old. She, like her Aunt Leasa, cannot do without a cat in the house. When she lost her last cat to renal failure last year, it was no time until she located Charlie and then a month later she got Rosalee. It took about a month for the two cats to get used to one another. Charlie chased Rosalee, who was younger than he, and they made the house a race course for their antics. Now, a year later, the two of them love one another and romp all over the house. Both of them love sleeping with Marie and Tom, either on the bed under the covers or under the bed. Two cats make for a happy home. Marie has photographed both her cats and they are the stars of her Facebook account. Just about anyone you ask on the Facebook pages knows the cats by name from their pictures.

Well, this is Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, 2016. It's been a quiet day and I have enjoyed my time on my blog. If you go to www.Portionsofgrace.blogspot.com, you can read my poem called THANKSGIVING that I posted there. I hope you will enjoy it. Until another time, may the Great God of Love, Jehovah, bless you all richly. Love, Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment